It's been a long two months off. My apologies, but food and I have had to renegotiate our relationship in some serious ways. Sure makes it hard to plan out a food blog, when you don't even know what you can eat!
But, things are evening out yet again, and hopefully we'll be able to be back, in force, starting with this weekend's event: Our annual ornament exchange!
Chex Mix (the real kind...not out of a bag!)
Chex Muddy Buddies
Ren's Easy Vegan Chili
Ren's 3C Soup (Cauliflower, Carrots, and Cheese!)
A special offering from my friend Jen, the
Oh, and of course, chocolates.
I have a love/hate relationship with Chex Mix. I love eating it. It may be one of the most delicious things I have ever experienced. But, I hate Chex as a cereal. Until now, I have always had to find a way to choke down the leftover Chex, or watch it go to waste, taking up precious room, on my small kitchen shelf. But no longer!
Careful merging of the two recipes currently found on the back of the Rice Chex and Wheat Chex boxes allows for 100% utilization of said Chex in delicious ways! You just have to know what to omit....
1 Large box of Rice Chex
1 Regular box of Wheat Chex
2 sticks of margarine or butter
Unsalted Cashews or Peanuts
Pretzel nuggets (small ones)
Chex Mix -- the efficient variation!
6 tablespoons butter or margarine
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons seasoned salt
3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
4 cups Rice Chex® cereal
5 cups Wheat Chex® cereal
1 1/2 cup mixed nuts
1 1/2 cup bite-size pretzels
1. Heat oven to 250°F. In ungreased large roasting pan, melt butter in oven. Stir in seasonings. Gradually stir in remaining ingredients until evenly coated.
2. Bake 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes. Spread on paper towels to cool, about 15 minutes. Store in airtight container.
Microwave Directions: In large microwavable bowl, microwave butter uncovered on High about 40 seconds or until melted. Stir in seasonings. Gradually stir in remaining ingredients until evenly coated. Microwave uncovered on High 5 to 6 minutes, thoroughly stirring every 2 minutes. Spread on paper towels to cool. Store in airtight container.
1 Serving: Calories 140 (Calories from Fat 60); Total Fat 6g (Saturated Fat 2 1/2g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 10mg; Sodium 330mg; Total Carbohydrate 17g (Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 2g); Protein 3g Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 6%; Vitamin C 2%; Calcium 4%; Iron 25% Exchanges: 1 Starch; 0 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Vegetable; 1 Fat Carbohydrate Choices: 1
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Muddy Buddies -- Again, efficiency style!
All remaining Chex
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1. Dump cereal into a large bowl; set aside.
2. In 1-quart microwavable bowl, stir together chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter. Microwave uncovered on High 1 minute; stir. Microwave about 30 seconds longer or until mixture can be stirred smooth. Stir in vanilla. Pour mixture over cereal, stirring until evenly coated. Pour into 2-gallon resealable food-storage plastic bag.
3. Add powdered sugar. Seal bag; shake until well coated. Spread on waxed paper to cool. Store in airtight container in refrigerator.
1 Serving: Calories 220 (Calories from Fat 80); Total Fat 9g (Saturated Fat 4g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 5mg; Sodium 200mg; Total Carbohydrate 30g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 17g); Protein 3g Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 6%; Vitamin C 2%; Calcium 6%; Iron 25% Exchanges: 1 Starch; 1 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Vegetable; 1 1/2 Fat Carbohydrate Choices: 2
Tomorrow, we'll have the soups -- and pics!
Thanks for reading...happy eating! :)